Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The most wonderful day of the year!

First Day of School! Yippee!!!

Our son is a Jr. in High School this year and is actually thrilled to go back. We're glad he's going back too - the boy needs something to do! LOL!

I can remember my first days and being SO nervous every single time, though I started a lot of new schools in new areas and seemed to be that odd gal out. We're thankful that we've stayed in one place and been able to see our son's circle of friends grow each year. Now it looks like hug fest at the school each morning!

This morning we had to have our usual "first day of school" picture ... of course, the days of standing cutely in front of the house and smiling sweetly are way gone. Now, at 16 "photo time" is greeted with "aw come on Mom, I don't hafta" followed by the now customary "I'm NOT smiling" which in turned resorted to my husband standing behind me making funny comments which FINALLY made our son crack up laughing (ha ha, and I got the picture!). Yeesh, the things a Mom has to do! LOL! Of course, this success was short-lived as I was reduced yet again by a wave and "see ya later" instead of a hug goodbye :<

We eagerly both waited to hear about the first day - nothing beats the first day back report. I think its probably the one and only day where all you hear is great, all positive, moving forward, its gonna be a fabulous year news. Then you sit in dread for 9 months waiting for that report card to show up in June - oddly like giving birth to a piece of paper! Its also the one day in the year where our son gets to come home and present us with a pile of papers and say "ha ha you have homework" - I swear he lives for this day! He just sits and giggles which of course has us in giggles. Yes, the first day of school is really, really good!

No comments: